Saturday, January 10, 2009

I'm Here to Help You...Dammit!!!


In this inaugural edition of my classic rock album review I’d first like to explain to you what chaps my hide about classic rock radio. (I know, one sentence in and I’m already on a rant) Classic rock radio generally likes to beat us over the head with the same five songs or less from each of the twenty biggest bands of the sixties and seventies. For example: Pink Floyd. Money, Wish You Were Here, Another Brick In the Wall, Comfortably Numb and once a month, One of These Days. What about the other nine songs on the other ten or so albums? How many more times do I have to hear Satisfaction by the Stones? Why not play Citadel or Sway? How about Star Star? I’m convinced at this point that the band War only wrote one bloody song. Low Rider. Go on…try to name another. You can’t do it because classic rock radio only plays that one freakin’ song. Thus making the listener bored and the music that may once have been great, stale as that bag of chips on your dash.

Now I’m perhaps the biggest Sabbath fan in the Western Hemisphere but if I have to hear Paranoid on the way home from work again, I just might put a gun in my mouth, and not for dental hygiene reasons.

That being said, I’m obviously not going to review Back In Black or Zeppelin IV. What would be the point in that? I’m going to dig a little deeper in the hopes that one of you out there will discover something amazing in your dad’s record collection. Being an avid record collector, I have found some of the most amazing classic rock albums that haven’t ever made the classic rock radio play lists. So, come now, let’s have a beer and plunder the vaults.

No comments:

Post a Comment